Monday, February 25, 2008

Eggstraordinary Admissions

Now that my cottage and all it's earthly goods are advertised on the internet anyone with half a connection can see my junk in all its glory. Well maybe not all of it. As I go through wardrobes and find more bags of uncarded or carded wool stuffed in shelves I realise I have a serious stash problem.


Someone commented that my place looks like an "artist's home" which I guess is a polite way of saying it's messy and eclectic. Where else could you see seven ostrich eggs nestling on the spare bed? I tell visitors that I have been busy laying, in reality they've been given to me over the years with the idea that I'll paint something wonderful on them. I've only ever painted one with a Siamese cat head on it and it still hasn't sold. Eggs aren't all that popular in Kiwiville.

My only consolation is that I did the big throwing out thing a year ago before I moved here. In fact some boxes I still hadn't got round to unpacking so that's a bonus. Many of them lurk under the spare bed and in wardrobes but I can't throw them out. There is the box full of telephone directories filled with pressed flowers, the box filled with flower presses, the 40 year old suitcase with my old UE art folio and more wool, bags of curtains from my last cottage, a box of photos. I hear myself reiterating a comment I often heard from my Dad "they might come in handy one day". Perhaps I should rephrase that as "one day I might have time to do something with them". I am proud that you'll never call me a minimalist- I also will never be bored.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe your like me a bit of a hoarder
I inherited this from my father
Jen at http://my3boysandi.wordpress.com

damask22 said...

Yes there are definitely a couple of members of my family with hoarding tendencies. I do have the occasional throw out though which is more than they do! :o)