Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kainui Homestead


I have been to see the cottage on "Kainui" the farm next door which will come available in two weeks time. It is the original homestead on the farm (over 100 years old) so shabby although picturesque. The present tenant told me it is insulated with wool so very warm and there are two fireplaces including a kent log fire which is enclosed and can run on low to save firewood. Much bigger than my present place of course except the sitting room which is minute but with a carved mantelpiece and wooden door opening onto a north facing veranda. The bathroom is grotty but the landlord is having it painted this weekend. Outside there are a couple of old sheds including the original wash house with copper and tubs. Landlord has offered me the orchard and two paddocks next door for grazing. He said as long as I don't run 20 cows in there he's happy (they break fences).

The place reminds me alot of our house at Waiohiki just out of Taradale. Not so much garden apart from roses along the front verandah but just the general layout with all the trees surrounding the home. However it is set far off the road for privacy, you can just see it as you drive to my present place snuggled into the macrocarpas, overlooking a driveway edged with oak trees. Much more sheltered than where I am now and the rent is substantially lower as well. I still haven't heard from the landlords here as I am dealing with Gine and Gareth who came with me to the view the other place. However I guess I will have to leave soon as there is a real estate agent coming to assess the property on Monday morning. Who knew everything would change so dramatically within just a week.

2 comments:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

praying for you
everything will work out
Jen

damask22 said...

I'm sure it will too Jen. I'm just not a great fan of change. This will be my 11th move.

Jen