Saturday, August 25, 2007

Horny Goat


I didn't see Tobermory the goat when I went out to feed the chooks early yesterday morning. I had seen him Thursday evening and he was fine so I wasn't too concerned that he hadn't come to say hello. Later that morning as I went to clean out the hen house I noticed Toby walking towards me. I kept looking at him and thinking something wasn't quite right and as he neared the gate I noticed blood all over the right side of his face. Then I saw a bloody stump where his right horn used to be.

How he lost it is any one's guess as it was very strong. I checked the boundary fences to see if he'd got stuck in the wire and pulled it off in fright but there was no sign of it. He must have one hell of a headache. It's fortunately still cold though so no flies about but I will keep an eye on the wound to check it doesn't develop an infection. Of course being me I was trying to work out a way to pull his remaining horn into the middle of his forehead so I could tell everyone he's actually a unicorn........

No comments: