Friday, October 05, 2007

Dark Nights and Alpaca Days

I haven't blogged in over a week and a half. Not because I haven't had anything to say but because I have been incredibly busy.

The water tank is in and working. Brent did a marvellous job installing it considering it was his first one. It's situated right behind the hedge at the back of the cottage and next to the hen house so hopefully it will shelter that from the worst of the westerlies. He also installed a water filter in the kitchen so a flash new tap arches out of the bench for drinking water. I was away from the property on family business for two whole days last week so missed alot of the installation as well as saying goodbye to Brent on the Thursday. However while I was out he kindly took all my rubbish (including packing boxes I used to move here in late March) to the dump so the back carport looks so much tidier.

Least favourite moment of the week- coming home in the dark on two evenings and having to feed animals in the rain and cold by torch. Especially when the hose was in use filling the tank and I had to take water bottles inside to fill them. On the Thursday night I was outside struggling with a mud covered hose wound tightly onto it's spool and not wanting to move. I think I got inside 10.30 that night and didn't fall into bed till midnight.

Favourite moment was on Wednesday after art group at Otane when Brent's Mum Gaye and I went with her two grandsons to visit three alpacas on a friend's property just outside Waipawa. Stunning older house overlooking a beautiful English style country garden where we sat in a sun porch with a hot drink chatting about ballet with the owner who used to teach it as well as weaving since she makes stunning garments out of her animals' fibre.

I took many photos of Trucie, Winter and Pollonius which I will take into get developed in a week or so. Trucie was a white Suri alpaca so looked as if he had dreadlocks. In fact I had a suspicion that he was such a laid back animal he had a penchant for saying "dude" and "chill out". At one point he came up to me, bent his head down and as I bent mine leaned forward and gave me a gentle kiss on the lips! Have to admit it was one of the better kisses I've ever had albeit a grassy tasting one.

Winter was a white fluffy alpaca and Pollonius a rather noble looking brown animal although not as friendly as their surfer dude brother. Of course I am in love but unless a rich sugar daddy comes my way alpacas are out of my league. However I can enjoy spinning their fibre whenever I can get hold of it and Esther, the lady we visited, as offered to teach me to weave.


Alpacas are the in thing here in NZ at the moment. I pass many lifestyle blocks grazing a few animals on the way into town. I do wonder though if the industry will go the same way as mohair goats, angora rabbits, deer, kiwifruit and avocados which were also the flavour of the year a while back but crashed and burned when the markets weren't as great as they hoped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I moved here to the bay 3 years ago
from Auckland
Love it

look like a nice animal

damask22 said...

Glad you like it here Jen. I've lived in Hawkes Bay all my life and there are few other places in NZ that I would prefer to live. The people in the bay are so friendly and caring.

Jen