Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Suki


One of my favourite hens died this morning. I was expecting it as Suki had been slowing down the past few days and although still eating was looking a bit wobbly. Well she was twelve years old so it wasn't surprising. I've been searching for photos of her but none were really good- it was difficult to get a close up shot as she was always so busy scratching and generally doing chook things. However her speckled gene has passed down the line and hopefully will continue to pop out in the occasion descendant.

Suki had three lots of chicks over the years. The first family was when she was only five months old which either makes her precocious or else a total slut. However she proved an excellent Mum and when she hatched another clutch six months later she did another great job. Her last time was several years ago and although she would periodically go broody she never stayed on the next long enough for her eggs to amount to anything. I will miss her as will her Mum "Peanut" who will be fourteen years old in November this year.

It's been a dreary wet day and everyone is miserable outside. Briar has hung her head and barely eaten while the goats stood shivering in the woodshed. I only went outside twice to feed everyone and bury Suki in the garden.

On a positive note though I finally received my loom last week. The friend who had collected it from Helensville had kept it at her place in Auckland until her brother and mother visited and they brought it back to Napier. My brother then delivered it last week. It came with a great collection of hammers and pieces of wood which I have no idea what to do with. It sits in state on a table in the dining room and Kit Cat curls up in it as decoration. Now I just have to learn how to use it.

1 comment:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

so sori about Suki

jen