Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Great Escape Attempt

The new farm manager came in to introduce himself last Monday afternoon while walking his dog and his baby daughter in a stroller. He said to give him a ring if I needed any help and he would try to get over inbetween farm work. I was so surprised at his kind offer that after he left I realised that I couldn't remember his name although his dog was called Peanut. Probably gives a good idea where my priorities usually lie.

I didn't realise how soon I would need his help but on arriving home late after painting group and visiting a sick friend on Wednesday I discovered that Xena Warrior Goat had gone beneath the old wash house and managed to wind her rope tether round a wooden pile. I sat on the muddy ground and tried to reach her only to get head butted for my trouble. Grabbing a garden fork I tried to pull the rope near me so I could untangle it but this caused Xena to pull further underneath the building. I finally tried to cut the rope with a pair of loppers but couldn't get the blades round it. Finally in desperation at 5.45pm I rang the farm manager's house.

The phone was answered by his wife Charlotte who on hearing my predicament said she would be right over once she'd settled the baby down for a sleep. A few minutes later she arrived with Peanut the dog, her two and a half year old daughter Georgia and a baby monitor. By this time it was completely dark but we both had torches so Charlotte was able to see the nanny clearly but couldn't reach over to untangle her. A rusty old fridge was blocking the way so she tipped out of the way and tried to crawl under the shed but Xena felt threatened and tried to butt her. Realising that girl power just wasn't going to cut it this time Charlotte said she'd send Andrew over after he'd finished feeding the farm dogs.

It was after 6pm by this time and very cold. I shut Mishka inside and collected a rose branch and some pellets and fed these to Xena. She was starving but as she was in a bit of an IRM (Intensely Ratty Mood) she tried to gore my hands after she'd finished eating.

In the darkness I saw a torch coming towards the orchard as Andrew, his little girl and Peanut came to the rescue. He lay in the dirt and untangled the rope before dragging one very angry nanny out. Taking no nonsense from her he told me to pat her before tying her to a dog kennel further along the orchard. Fortunately for me he loves goats having just come off a farm in Wairoa where they were raising them for the Middle East market. Grabbing Xena he shone a torch in her mouth and told me she was probably at least four years old and not the youngster we'd been told she was which accounts for her cunning and stubborness I guess.

When I came back inside the house was freezing cold and although I lit the fire it didn't warm up before I went to bed a few hours later. I spent the evening trying to work out why I like goats. The next morning I cautiously checked outside and saw Xena was still tied up with Gretel and Heidi beside her.

A big breakthrough though came on Friday when I put some pellets in my hand and both Xena and Gretel ate from it. Yesterday Xena managed to get off her rope but when she saw me she came up immediately and again was happy to hand feed. Gretel also loves to sniff for treats and runs up to me when I go to the gate. After just three weeks I think this is a major step forward.


Meanwhile the weather gets colder and colder. There is snow on the ranges, not a bit unlike my painting to the left. I have come to the realisation that my kent log fire may need art lessons- it's not drawing properly. I spend quite a bit of the day on my knees blowing ash all over the place as I try to get it to catch. Roll on Spring.

1 comment:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

bless the new farm manager and his family they sound really nice

I like your painting

And i agree roll on Spring and Summer I much prefer it hot

have a good week
Jen