Sunday, January 20, 2008

Willow


Willow died this morning. Over the past couple of weeks she had slowly gone off her food but not in any alarming way but I knew she was about to leave us when yesterday she became quite blue around the mouth and I could see her heart fluttering. However she seemed quite peaceful and happy to be beside Pip, another elderly bunny who had become her best friend over the past months. I dug a grave under the cottoneaster by the front lawn with Briar donkey, Mishka and Kit Cat looking on as I lay her to rest with some lavender flowers.

Willow was bred by my friend Mekhaela who gave her to me in late 2001. She always loved her food to the point that she was disqualified for being overweight from the only rabbit show I ever attended. When young she used to hum whenever I went near which is a sign of being "interested" in the rabbit world. I did try breeding her a few times but only one buck managed to get her pregnant and that turned into a disaster as the kits were too big and she ended up being rushed to the vet for an emergency caesarian. All babies had died inside her and the vet I think spayed her despite my asking him not to as I was left with a nearly $300 bill and Willow never hummed again.

However she lives on as my friend Judy acquired a "foodle" (fox terrier x poodle) puppy a couple of weeks ago and she asked if she could name her Willow. I hope she becomes as big a character as her namesake.

1 comment:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

Im sori about this

we kept rabbits for a time several years ago
we brought what we thought were 2 females
turns out they werent

Jen