Saturday, June 02, 2007

Piper's Trip To The Vet

Had a trip to the vet Wednesday. Firstly Cadbury my chocolate angora buck had a testicular tumour which had to be removed (it apparently was so impressive the vet took a photo) and I also took Piper for a check up. Cadbury was booked in all day for a castration and I left Piper for an hour so she could have blood work done. However before the results came in the vet was able to tell me she suspected renal failure as the kidneys were enlarged and there was some fluid on the lungs. This could be a result of her cardiomyopathy.

Collected Piper at 10am and brought her all the way home, had lunch and returned to Waipukurau for a 2pm appointment before collecting Cadbury. He was extremely perky (and lighter) after his operation as was my wallet. At 5pm the vet phoned with Piper's results which confirmed renal failure. However she said there were a few things they could do to help including an anabolic steroid shot to improve her appetite and help kidney function as well as starting her on a special diet which she would send out with the mailman.

The next morning I was able to get a ride into the vet with Piper and she had her first steroid injection. She wasn't as perky as the day before and hadn't wanted her breakfast but by the afternoon she was ravenous and ate so much so ended up being heartily sick. By the end of the day her new food had arrived and I was able to begin weaning her onto this. It's $29.95 a bag but as you don't feed a lot I am hoping it won't work out to be too expensive. At this stage she is looking much better, not drinking as much and the litter tray isn't getting such a hammering. However the vet has warned me her days are limited and that she now things the kidney disorder may have been there since birth as were her other health problems. Doug my previous vet had also warned that her tail deformity might only be the tip of the iceberg.

One good outcome of the vet visit is that they allowed me to put my business card up on their notice board so hopefully I may get some art commissions. The ironic part is this week I have felt very unwell with what I think may be a kidney problem so haven't felt like doing much artwork at all.

No comments: