Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Two Goodbyes

Hallelujah! Changed my email again as well as my password and I'm back in with Explorer. Phew.

Last week was eventful for two goodbyes. Firstly my neighbours Linda and Hans were flying out to a new life in Holland. Sunday 10th June was gloomy and very cold. When I went to feed the chickens I saw why- there was a good coating of snow on the ranges. Linda rang and asked if would I go down to their place to say goodbye as they were expecting visitors and didn't want to leave it till too late to come and see me. She picked me up in her car and I was there by 11.15am. Fortunately they had their fire going and the room was toasty (empty but toasty as they'd sold their furniture). First the other lady bus driver who works locally turned up with her boyfriend and stayed for three hours. Then my landlady's sister in law who will be renting the house came in with her husband and two boys. She had no idea who I was and asked where I lived- when I said "Cathy's place" the light bulb turned on. They left at 3.45pm and I was hoping to get home as it was raining and beginning to get dark but Linda asked me to stay for a late lunch. It was getting colder and colder even with a heater and fire on and Hans told me it was 5oC (41oF) inside. Anyway when I said goodbye to Hans he got all choked up and tearful and held my hands. Linda dropped me off, gave me a quick hug and then ran out the door. When I looked out the window she was crying. It was so so sad. So now they're back living in Holland but say they'll keep in touch via email.

Maxine arrived Monday when it was pouring with rain (the farmers were so grateful as Hawkes Bay is having the worst drought we've had in 100 years) and said I'd been asked to give a talk about my artwork by the Tikokino Country Woman's Institute on 3 April. We thought they got it wrong and meant 3 July but no they do mean 3 April........2008.

Then came Tuesday 12th which I knew was going to be a big day. Meadow's eye had flared up again after I gave her some hay so I took her back to the vets at 10am. Nicki put dye in her eye and found the tear duct had blocked again and would need to be reflushed. Went to get a warrant of fitness for my car- it failed. Needed four new tyres. The only funny bit was the guy looking in my car and asking "Where's the dust?" I told him I'd shifted and didn't have a long shingle road to my place anymore. Anyway we drove to tyre places and none would give finance under $400 and I only needed $260 so Rich lent me the money and we had the new ones fitted. In fact the people "Firestone" (NZ made tyres) gave us both hot chocolate drinks while we waited.
Had a trip to the doctor's myself to get a few things sorted (looks like I have a kidney infection amongst other things) and then collected my sister in law from work before heading out to the vet to collect Meadow. Nicky came out and said she wanted a quiet word with me and then brought Med out in her cage all wrapped in a towel. She'd managed to unblock the tear duct but it ruptured and a whole lot of pus came spilling out and the eye began bulging. She told me that her eye would never be any good and the infection could go into her brain. I would have to inject her with antibiotics but the problem would reoccur. I asked what she would do if it was her pet and the result was that she put Meadow to sleep. I cried and cried with the vet with her arm about me, handing me tissues. She carried the empty cage out to the car only to find Richard on his knees changing the back tyre. Yes the new back one had gone flat. Not a day I want to repeat..................

1 comment:

KathyR said...

Sorry to read about the troubles you have bee having. Remember, the only way to go from down is up!