Sunday, September 21, 2008

Toodle Pip


Pip the angora bunny came to me about eight years ago through a friend who heard that he and his mother were looking for a new home. I got quite a shock when I first saw him as he had a hairy "bobble" hanging off his nose which apparently was the result of a fight with a mini lop when he was younger. Knowing Pip as I do now he would have started it.

Pip was a very quiet calm rabbit who took life as it came without any fuss. He sired two litters of which I still have three sons, plus his three grandsons and granddaughter. A few years ago he had one testicle removed as it was enlarged and the vet thought it could be cancer. I perhaps cruelly nicknamed him "One Hung Lo" after his operation. A year later the same thing had to be done so that he was fully castrated.

Over the past few months Pip has had times when he didn't want to eat his pellets but I always enticed him again. However when I recently took his coat off I discovered he'd developed many small cancerous lumps so assumed that he was near the end of his days. A friend promised that when it was needed he would put Pip down. In the end though I didn't need to make that decision because when I went out to see him yesterday morning he was lying on his side in a coma and passed away shortly afterwards. He must have been well over ten years old.

I wish I had a better photo of him but he always scrunched himself down when I went to take a picture as if he already knew he was not the most photogenic bunny in the shed. However what he didn't have in looks he made up for with personality.

No comments: