Thursday, July 19, 2007

Third Day of The Big Wet

The rain is beginning to subside this afternoon although a couple of rivulets are still running down my drive from the back paddock. Everything is soaked- even under the house is wet. Yesterday the last of my firewood in the front carport was rained on so I spent a frantic half hour barrowing it round to the back carport where at least it's a bit more sheltered. An unexpected financial bonus has meant I was able to order some more to be delivered by Saturday. One cord of macrocarpa for me to move and stack on my own. I'll be shaped like a pretzel by the time I finish.

7.15 am today found me up to my elbows in mud trying to haul the goat's shelter out of boggy ground onto a piece of concrete path that juts out into the paddock from the back yard. After seeing Toby covered in mud I figured at least on the concrete he'd keep fairly clean and it'll wear down his hooves. He watched with interest as I groaned and swore trying to move the heavy thing and I was half afraid that as I strained to pull it along he would headbutt me in a vulnerable area. However he was more curious and soon as his house was positioned he took up residence.

The chickens are knee deep in water in their house but although I let them out for a run round between showers they only did a desultory circuit picking up a few sad drowned worms before heading back inside. All except one silly hen who decided she was going to sleep out under the stars tonight. She's in for a shock!

I've heard of one poor farmer who has lost 100 lambs. After the drought this rain must seem like the final straw. Everyone has a story to tell of damage to their property. Now they're calling it a 50 year flood as no one can really remember anything as bad.


Finally got my film developed which had photos from my old place interspersed with ones of the new. I took this shot in late afternoon on a cloudy day. This is the front of my cottage. My room is on the left, the office where I'm typing this is in the middle and the sitting room to the right behind the latticed carport. The driveway runs up the left towards the garage. More to follow when I have a bit more time.

No comments: