Monday, July 16, 2007

Killer Donkey

A grey drizzle descended again this morning so I stayed inside to kill the dust elephants. Maxine arrived later and fortunately was present to help prevent a murder.


At lunchtime I heard Briar braying but it was a most unusual sound as if she were very upset. Next we saw her gallop past the sitting room window before turning and running back up the paddock again. Thinking she was just playing we listened as she started braying again and then saw her chasing Tobermory back down the side paddock. But then it turned nasty for as he ran she bent over and bit him in the withers and then pulled him onto his haunches (no mean feat as he is the size of a German Shepherd with the strength of an ox) before biting him again. Toby's mouth was open in distress and he managed to escape again before Briar bit him again and he fell to the ground. Then he lay there and Briar prepared to slam her hooves into his body. By this time Maxine had run outside and was shouting at her to stop and even began firing windfall lemons in her direction.

Briar lost interest in Toby and walked away and by the time I grabbed my swandri and got out to the paddock he was in his house and she had calmed down. With Maxine watching from behind the gate I gave Briar a carrot to occupy her while I checked on the goat. Toby baaed when he saw me and happily accepted his treat. His nose was dirty and his coat wet from donkey bites. Tomorrow it looks as if I'll have to subdivide the paddock and separate them.

I have no idea what inspired Briar's attack but I have a feeling Toby may have charged her. Usually she only plays in fun and never becomes so angry or agitated. Last week when she stole a carrot he was eating he wheeled around and began to sidle towards her chest with his head down. I was wondering if something similar had happened again and caused this usually placid animal to lose her temper.

Hopefully the stress of this attack won't cause Tobermory to go downhill. He's nearly 16 and this sort of thing is too much for an old goat to bear let alone me!

No comments: