Sunday, February 25, 2007

Spinning, Sorting the Crap and the Pu Birds

What is it about this place that makes the cats want to leave? Angel has been walkabout for three months this time and now Piper has disappeared. It's been two days since she last came for a feed so I'm hoping that she's lying bloated somewhere with paws all over the place full of roasted rat. Wouldn't worry half as much if she didn't have cardiomyopathy and need medicating twice daily.

I have half got the job spinning alpaca for the place down south. However my sample although perfectly even and weighted (whatever that means) was over spun which apparently is a by product from spinning angora for so long. They're sending another sample for me to mangle and if I can get the tension right while remembering to spin finely and ply properly I'll have the job! Fortunately I'd bought some alpaca from the Creative Fibre Festival in Taradale last year so hauled this out to practice. Result was a skein that hangs down straight and is fluffy so hope this solves the tension problem. Skein for sale on Trademe for $12.

Just heard a noise and looking out the front see five pukekos feeding outside my place. Obviously a family unit out for their version of a Sunday drive although I can't tell if there are any kids whining "Are we there yet?" Three paradise ducks are having a row further out in the paddock and one has bravely flown in to annoy the pu birds. Gypsy cat is sitting beside the cattle stop utterly bemused by the whole scene. Even she has to admit they're too big for her to catch!

My friend Tanya rang last night as she had been trying to get a friend who works for a local removal company to move me for free. A no goer apparently although the guy has offered his personal services for one morning (woo hoo!). Was able to report that I've made quite an inroads into the crap (um sorry) treasures stored in the Widdly Room. Even rediscovered my perfume bottle collection and a metronome. Am trying to downsize by cramming the contents of two boxes into one all the time. Sometimes it works but more often than not I find some sentimental item I can't possibly throw out despite not having looked at it for nine years. In particular every school exercise book from my childhood, eighty year old copies of The School Journal and two inch long pencils. I mean they might be worth something someday!

No comments: