Saturday, February 24, 2007

Outages Of The Electrical And Ihugal Variety


A little white bantam hen died yesterday morning. She'd been growing a nasty looking "thing" on her leg recently (not scaly leg) and I had decided to have her put down when she beat me to it. I only have two white hens left out of the seven I once had. They're completely mad and at the moment rather a pain as they're so stuffed with windfall plums from the tree in the backyard that they don't want to go into the hen house at night with the others. I watch them sunbathing in the garden in the afternoons although they keep their feathers on unlike their poor cousin to the left.

Since the cold snap last week there has been a distinctly autumnal feel in the air despite the warm temperatures. We even managed a little rain storm last night. I know this as the washing machine began turning itself on and off at 3am. Getting up to check I discovered the power was fluctuating so decided to pull the plugs on all electrical appliances. While doing this the electricity cut out completely so had to feel my way back to bed praying I wouldn't squish a cat in the process. Everything is back on this morning though except Ihug my ISP who is having yet another melt down and not delivering any email. They still advertise themselves as being voted New Zealand's No 1 provider- I can only assume that the voters were the mothers of the staff as I don't know anyone who doesn't find their service frustratingly inadequate.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Uuuuffff...nothing like mad white hens stuffed with plums to ruin day, lol. Sorry for the loss of the chicken, but maybe it was just time, anyway, and you didn't ned to feel like it was your responsibility. Have a better day today.

damask22 said...

Thanks Kathleen. Well she's gone to a better place- full of plum trees continually dropping their fruit for the benefit of small white hens probably! Jen