Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Last Days of Summer


Daylight saving finishes tonight. This always makes me a little sad as I realize that summer has ended and winter is on its way. However on the other hand in six months it will be spring and I'll be looking forward to long evenings where I have the freedom to go outside without a torch and woolen gloves.

There is still the smell of burnt grass in the mornings as we have had no rain to speak of for weeks. If it doesn't arrive soon there is going to be trouble. Just the other day I saw a farmer feeding hay out to his cattle, something that usually only happens in July/August.

Of course the drought doesn't affect Briar the donkey and Tobermory the goat. If anything they seem to put on more weight in these conditions. Poor Briar has been relegated to the back hill paddock by my landlord and although she has company in the form of several cows she is missing hanging with the horses. However there isn't much grass in that field so hopefully she'll work off some of the rolls of fat that she's managed to accumulate.

I have begun my big Autumn clean up in the rabbitry. Taking off coats before I begin the soul destroying task of cleaning the cages. I am intending to have a change round in there as well. There are a couple of cages I want out of there so I can spray the walls down with disinfectant. I am still trying to save up to replace some of my cages and hopefully will have these finished by the winter as well.

As for the garden......well the least said the better. Doesn't matter how much I water the plants still brown off and die. Except the roses which seem to be thriving. I wish I had more than two bushes but always toss up as to whether I want to spend money on a place I don't own as I will have to move on at some point. On the other hand rose bushes aren't all that expensive and at least I would get some pleasure from them before I head off into the sunset.

No comments: