Thursday, January 12, 2006

Cooking Down Under

The heat is oppressive- real headache weather. I managed to dig out about ten thistles round the hen house before it really kicked in and now have finished the west side of the garden. The cats lie in whatever shade they can find and Mishka lies permanently by the back door in the breeze. I will not complain though as the thought of the cold weather a few months away is just depressing.

I am having a real egg explosion which is quite unusual for this time of year. Usually from August to Christmas is my best time but 2005 was quite different and I barely collected a couple of dozen. Now here it is, the hottest and usually the most eggless time of year and I have just come inside from collecting five eggs including one huge brownie from the ancient shavers. Even Peanut my 11 year old bantam hen is laying behind a bale of hay in the rabbitry!

I have been reading an agricultural newspaper that advertises organic apple cider vinegar with garlic. Much cheaper than at the supermarket with around 20 litres for NZ$45.00 and free delivery anywhere in New Zealand. I am going to order some in a couple of weeks and keep all the animals on it as a tonic and wormer. Prevention is worth a ton of cure.

No comments: