Saturday, March 02, 2013

Joey's Big Day Out

I haven't seen Joey's previous owners since they gave him to me in July 2011 so when I learned they'd be showing their dogs at an event in Waipawa today it was too good an opportunity to miss. Soon as he got out of the car and heard the other dogs barking Joey was in the zone. He sauntered along beside me while we tried to find his owners amongst so many tents, umbrellas and crates. Fortunately Lyn saw me first and walked over to say hi when Joey suddenly developed amnesia and became very shy. Then suddenly something clicked and he grinned and jumped up very excited to see her again. We went to Lyn and David's set up next to one of the rings where they had Joey's second cousin all prepped ready to be shown.
Joey's thinking "I'm not too sure about you"
Joey wasn't too sure at first although he definitely remembered Max their Affenpinscher as they had a mutual quick sniff and growl. Apparently they had a history as Joey used to force the other dog to the ground on occasion when they lived together. Who knew as he's always been such a big chook with me.

"Oh you're special like me!"
I also had a chance to catch up with Mishka's breeder Shirley Campbell. We reminisced about his puppyhood and obsession with water. It brought back memories of all his funny little quirks and how different two Shelties can be. She had some really kind things to say about Joey and it turns out once owned one of his relatives.

When we left I was worried Joey would want to stay behind in the world he knew and although he did steal one look back at his previous owners he seemed happy enough to trot off with me although he had one wobbly moment when he passed a great dane the size of a small South American country. And when we arrived home I knew he was in a good mood as he celebrated by raiding the kitty litter tray.

No comments: