Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hot Summer Days

It has been an incredibly hot summer in Hawkes Bay so far. Two days ago it was 40oC in the carport at the back of my cottage which really stressed the animals. I made sure Stig the goat and Briar donkey were tethered under the old oak tree in my garden with fresh water for the day while the baby bunnies snuggled next to a container of ice that I keep in my freezer for such heatwaves.
At three weeks of age Ivory's six remaining babies were still spending a certain amount of time in their nest box although they made forays out into the cage to chase their mother round for milk. You'd see them upended with fluffy feet in the air trying to sneak a milk shake before she was alerted to what was going on and hopped away.
At four weeks they were really getting stuck into pellets which took some strain off their poor mother. This also meant they were growing at a great rate. Already personalities are beginning to shine through with the white kits being slightly more shy than their siblings.
There are a couple of cheeky individuals who like posing for a photo so I'm hoping they grow up into good woolers as well. At this stage though I just enjoy watching their interactions with each other and am amazed at how quickly they've learned that I am "food woman".

No comments: