Thursday, March 19, 2009

At Last!

I have been to see three houses in the past two weeks. Two were very old and pretty run down plus not in areas I want to live in, the third was in good order and still in the Tikokino area. Yesterday Gine, Gay and I went to see it on the way home from a surprise baby shower for Gine at a friend's house in Onga Onga. It is situated behind a large hedge which shelters it on the west side and surrounded by a large garden which is overgrown at the moment as the previous tenant vacated a while back.

The house is painted a lavender/blue shade and has a concrete patio at the front with a pergola covered in a grape vine. This looks to get all day sun which will be a bonus in the harsh winters here. There was a large outside room at the back door painted neon green with navy trimmings. Gine thought this would make a great art studio. Inside there were three bedrooms as well as a kitchen/dining room and sitting room facing north. The girls laughed when I bent down and kissed the Lady Kitchener stove in the kitchen. I have missed my one at the last place SOOOOO much. The carpet throughout is in excellent condition and a soft moss green colour while most of the walls are a pale peach. Walls- well there are more windows than walls which will make for creative furniture arranging.

At the back there is a large carport open on two sides which will have to be adapted for the buns. Also a good sized woodshed plus a small sort of implement shed attached to the outside room. I rang the landlord to ask more questions that evening and he offered the use of three small paddocks for grazing plus a chookhouse which is quite a distance from the house but will be good temporarily. Hopefully I will be able to move in the next four or five days- two days before "The Deadline".
Now to finish my packing. The yellow spare room is unrecognizable as it is full of packed and empty boxes. Hopefully I will be more settled in a week and can pick up my life again as I have been in a terrible limbo these past weeks. Added to all this I learned my aunt died a week ago. Her funeral was yesterday in Wellington so I couldn't go. She was only 54 and such a lovely gentle person. I wish I had known her all my life instead of just the past twenty years but that's adoption for you.

1 comment:

Melissa Muirhead said...

So sorry to hear about your aunt Jen but so pleased you have found somewhere nice to live. I hope your move goes well and you enjoy some peace in your new home.