Sunday, December 21, 2008

Peachy Poo, Hoggle's "Bits" and More Delinquancy


Peaches is a wonderfully soft caring cuddly cat who has one serious defect- she loves rolling in sheep manure. It's not noticeable until you pick her up and bury your nose into her silky fur only to have your nostrils singed by the pungent aroma. Mishka is even worse as he enjoys eating rotten eggs he finds hidden in the long grass plus he views the cats' litter trays as canine buffet tables. Enough reason not to allow my pets to lick my face- you never know where that tongue has been!

Three weeks ago today I heard a smashing sound and discovered one pane of the window here in the office broken. I have no idea what happened, whether a bird tried to fly through the glass, whether it was an act of God or an act of Goat, or else the rotten putty finally gave up the ghost. From past experience here I knew I would have trouble getting it repaired so I first rang my insurance company but because I only rent and don't own this house I am not covered. The following morning I called the property manager who said she'd ring the landlord and tell him which made my stomach sink. By Friday I had heard nothing more so I rang her again and she said she would leave another message. Two more days passed before I saw the landlord walking out the gate. He said he would ask a builder working on the big new cow shed if he would fix it for some beer- needless to say it is now three weeks and I still don't have a window. I am just so grateful it isn't winter.

A week ago Hoggle's wedding tackle finally dropped off and what a miserable little boy he was. He shivered and looked so sad, hiding in the dog kennels or else under the old wash house where he remained for three days. I finally pushed some grass under there and saw him eating and when he heard me come with pellets for the others he rushed out to join them. I blocked his access to under the shed and later saw him out the back grazing with Gretel and Heidi. Unfortunately Xena Warrior Goat couldn't join them and sometime during the night she broke her tether and took them away back down the gorge. I rang the next door neighbour who is keeping an eye out for them and will send them back home. Meanwhile it's time to buy Xena a thick chain...

No comments: