Friday, August 22, 2008

A Winter Not So Wonderland


It was bitterly cold Monday evening but nothing prepared me for waking Tuesday morning to find the house surrounded by snow! It was piled on the trees, on the lawn, it iced the bare black berry branches and lay across the fields and hills all pure and white as you'd expect. I rushed out at 7.30am with my camera and took some shots of Demelza trying to walk across it and acting as if she was being shot at with every cautious pawstep and one of Briar bellowing to me that she was starving and cold from the paddock. Everything ordinary seemed transformed into something amazing.

By lunchtime the snow had nearly all melted although there was still quite a dusting on the Wakararas at the back of my place. As the day drew to a close the air grew colder and colder. Even with the fire going I still had to wrap up in a blanket on the sofa before giving up and heading for the security of the electric blanket and four cats. Next morning there was the mother of all frosts. I knew it was bad as the inside of my bedroom window was iced. All the water pipes had frozen so I had to take some water from the container I keep in the garage for the bunnies. Fortunately I was heading out and about so didn't have to shiver up here through the rest of the morning.

It feels like Spring will never come despite seeing all the lambs and the wattles flowering in the fields. This would have to count as one of the toughest winters I can ever remember surviving. I swear I will never complain about the heat ever again!

No comments: