Monday, July 28, 2008

New Goats Learning New Tricks


Gypsy decided to wake me up at 3am this morning. She began by wailing like a banshee and walking up anything she thought resembled a sleeping human. When this didn't get me out of bed she jumped up onto the dressing table hoping that any tinkling and smashing sounds as she knocked everything sideways would do the trick. Who needs an alarm clock when you have a hungry cat...

The hairy foursome are going from strength to strength. Xena has proved to be an exceptional mother who is prone to headbutting any creature that comes within two feet of her baby including cats, dogs and chickens. For some reason I am allowed to pick him up for cuddles and since she is no longer a lady in waiting I am also allowed to pat Xena and even touch her stomach without getting gored which is always a good thing.

There have been a steady stream of visitors to see the baby. When he was two days old Glenys came with her digital camera and although the others ran and hid under the trees I managed to grab the boy and he posed sleepily for photos on my knee. At seven days Gay and Gine got to hold him which apparently didn't faze him one little bit as he followed behind us later bleating. Typical male- he loved the attention.

I have taken several photos but the weather became so foul over the weekend I was unable to get more as I had hoped. I shifted everyone to the orchard field as there is shelter there but Xena marched beneath the trees and stood there stubbornly as the rain pelted down. After a freezing cold Saturday where the temperature never reached above 4oC I had a restless night imagining a dead wet kid lying abandoned because his mother was too stubborn to seek shelter. The next morning when I went to check on them Heidi and Gretel were balancing delicately on the firewood in the shed. I called out to Xena and a big head and a smaller one appeared round the corner of an abandoned dog kennel. One thing I did learn- all the goats have hair that curls in the rain. The baby looked positively permed.

Gretel is proving a jumper. She jumps over the fences into the sheep paddocks, she jumps over gates, amd today she learned she could lean on my girlie fence and jump over that too. This means she can go anywhere she chooses. However the herding instinct is so strong with Gretel that her breaks for freedom are short as she soon wants to get back to the others.

Oh and today I finally came up with a name for the kid. He is called Hoggle.

1 comment:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

3am!!! sooner you than me Jen


Jen