Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kiddy Talk


At first light I headed out to check how the goats had coped with sleeping in a different place. Gretel and Heidi ran up to say hello and then Xena appeared as well to check for goodies. I discovered the kid cuddled up under a tree branch, obviously asleep although when it woke and realised Mum had disappeared there was much maaing and wailing.

Cold temperature and rain were forecast for the afternoon so at 11am I headed out to collect kindling from under the big macrocarpa tree out the front. I then loaded the wheelbarrow with firewood and about burst my foo foo valve trying to get it up on the front verandah. I then tried to get under the ripped chicken netting of the old veggie garden enclosure out back in order to reach the kid. My plan was to carry it to the small orchard paddock next to the old wash house where there are old dog kennels and a woodshed where Xena and her goatling could shelter when the rain started. Rain is one of the biggest killers of new born animals, especially lambs and kids. I made my way between rusty netting and an ancient grape vine that was hanging all over the place but at the last moment the kid stood up and wandered off.

I collected some pellets and then made my way behind the chook shed, dodging the low tree branches and several old stumps. Xena was up for more feed and the kid began to wail and cry when it was left alone. It decided to come up to investigate me so I quietly picked it up and slowly made my way back to the orchard. Xena followed closely, bleating in response to her baby's calls. There was a massive and emotional reunion when I put the kid on the ground plus Xena butted Gretel and Heidi for good measure.

Late afternoon it began to rain so I went out again to check on the girls. This time I was able to pick the kid up and give it a good old cuddle while Mum snatched a late lunch. I feel honoured that Xena is so trusting of me and allows me to handle her baby whereas everyone else is headbutted if they get within ten feet of her. At one point today I looked out the window to see a terrified Kit Cat racing through the paddock with one angry nanny just a couple of feet behind.

I am so relieved I have finally finished one of my pressing tasks when I finally finished pruning all the (eight) roses earlier this week. They hadn't been pruned in many years so it was quite a task to wrestle them into shape, especially the old bush in front of the original wash house out the back. This turned out to be lethal with both large and small thorns that caught me unawares. My hands look as if I was involved in a major cat fight.

Also I weeded the veggie garden and planted nine spinach and nine broccoli plants. As there are so many wandering chooks, rabbits and other livestock here I had to put more bottomless cages over them. You can tell this garden belongs to an animal lover as the plants are caged and the pets roam free.

No comments: