Friday, May 09, 2008

Gardening Amongst The Icicles


I remembered this week why I don't like winter. Cold rain and heavy frosts being two of the main reasons. After going out two days running in freezing rain at the beginning of the week I was relieved to be able to stay home huddled by the fire on Wednesday as we suffered one of the heaviest frosts we've had so far this winter. Now we're in the middle of a torrential downpour with more forecast to come over the weekend. Mishka and Demelza are cuddled up together in front of the fire, Peaches is asleep on a cushion in the dining room while Gypsy sleeps on a wheatpack in the sitting room with Kit curled up on an armchair.

I have been trying to get some plants in before the worst of the weather hits. The old sandpit in the middle of the lawn is now a veggie garden but because the hens are still not contained I have had to go to drastic measures to protect my plants. I have put three bottomless wire cages and shadecloth over the Queen Violet broccoli, gourmet lettuce and coloured silverbeet I've planted for the Spring. So far they've survived.

My sister in law has also given me a few cuttings from her garden. Three pink Marguerite daisies in a pot plus several varieties of different succulent plants. I plonked four of these in the dry garden by the front gate. They look quite good by the large rocks someone had arranged there years ago. This part of the garden runs along the east side of the property and is pretty much barren due to two large trees and a baby Cabbage tree which must suck all the goodness out of the soil. I have tried to mulch the soil but the chooks keep getting in there and chucking it out onto the driveway.

Big excitement today though was running into Gay in Waipawa on the way home from my portraiture class and learning that Rachel has been talking to our new mailman and he is going to bring my mail down to the house rather than my having to make my ten minute trip up to the road to collect it. I am so relieved as that daily trip was a bit much for me, especially if I had been out and was tired. Rural contractors are often very caring people and helpful to country residents, even bringing shopping to them from town. I still miss the guy I had at Craggy Range Road as he would even bring my mail to the back door if it was raining! Talk about great service.

1 comment:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

Im a summer girl

have a nice weekend Jen
stay warm

blessings
Jen