Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Stones and Old Bones

It was my birthday last Saturday. I usually spend an enjoyable misery fest but for the past two years have decided not to sweat it and just go with the flow. This year I was busy painting for a Christmas sale so didn't really have time to think about it all so was particularly surprised when Gine arrived in the morning with a beautiful bunch of burgundy peonies. We had a cup of herbal tea together before she left to visit a sick friend of ours down the road. I also had several phone calls from friends.

On the Sunday my brother and his wife called in and brought with them a chocolate mud cake. We enjoyed this sitting outside with a hot drink in the sun. They had agreed to visit a day late so they could drop my entries for the sale into Hastings on their way home. I also had a belated happy birthday call from a friend plus on Monday two late cards arrived so I was pretty lucky.

Monday morning my friend John arrived early at 9.30am with a load of blue gum firewood for me. He also brought two large buckets full of small stones for jewellery making. I get more excited about this than if I was offered a diamond ring which is pretty sad really when you think about it. He had a look at Tobermory goat and told me to expect him to pass away in his sleep sometime soon as he has the look very old animals get when they're not much longer for this world. However as he's still enjoying his carrots and a scratch on the head I'm not going to worry (Toby, not John that is).

Ian came yesterday to continue cutting back the hedge. This has proved a much bigger job than we first thought as it's obviously not been trimmed for years. At the moment it looks a bit woody but there are new leave sprouting away from the older branches so it should soon fill in.


And Kit's previous owner has sent photos of her so I am finally able to show what she looks like. She certainly loves getting into some strange places.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jen

Kit looks like a funny but lovable cat

damask22 said...

Thanks Jen. Yes KitKat is a pretty out there animal, she especially likes being vacuumed.