Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Red Clover Taking Over

The Otane Arts Open Weekendearlier this month took alot more out of me than I expected. I was so tired and sore last week I barely did a thing beyond the essentials. Demelza thought it was great as she got to lie beside me alot which apparently is her idea of heaven.

Meanwhile the weeds were busy growing. Especially along the gravel driveway where great bushes of red clover were flowering. Remembering the saying "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" I have been doing 15 minute weeding stints and am finally seeing some results although to an outsider it looks like a neurotic mole has had a nervous breakdown. Anything is better than spraying which keeps the weed and flower fairies happy too!

The broccoli fairy must be happy with me as I was finally able to cut my first broccoli last week and have another ready to go already. Tasted so much nicer than the bought variety and I knew it was healthy as I haven't put any chemicals on my plants. There is also one bush of silver beet ready to cut as well.

Jeff from Smedley came yesterday morning to say my landlady asked him to put some sheep in my field to "knock the grass back". Around fifty black faced suffolks have been in there which isn't that great as I only have a small bowl for water so am constantly refilling it for Briar and Tobermory. Can't say much since Jeff helped tie down the hen house a few weeks ago but will look at finding someone who is willing to pay to graze here so I can bring in some extra cash.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pleased to hear you are beginning to see progress that helps too

Yum I love veges especially silver beet