Saturday, September 22, 2007

Sheepish Shennanigans

When I came home from Portraiture Class at Otane yesterday I was shocked to find at least 50 sheep in my paddock. I rang Jeff down the road and left a message on his answering machine asking why they were there. Two hours later they'd gone but I still have no idea who authorised them to graze here. I do know that if they'd remained overnight I would have been left with no grass for Briar and Toby whatsoever.

The past few mornings I have been woken up by the call of a Morepork in the trees by the drive. They have such a haunting call, especially when answered by another owl from across the field. There is also a pheasant population explosion at the moment and you see plenty of birds along the side of the road.

Crazy cat playtime still takes place at 5.30am every morning. The other day I heard a smash in the kitchen followed by rattling and scraping sounds for a while afterwards. Turned out Peaches and Gypsy had found a small clay sculpture I'd made on the bench top, pushed it off onto the lino where bits flew in all directions resulting in small yet interesting chips which could be gently patted under cat dishes (all the better for staring intensely at) and placed carefully under rugs for pulverization when I unknowingly went over them later. Gypsy also has a tendency for pulling covers off furniture, her favourite being a cream shawl placed on the piano stool. She then lies on her side and kicks the life out of it. No matter how many times I put it back when I return to the sitting room it's back on the floor in a neat little pile. This is fast becoming a battle of wills which I have a sneaking suspicion she will win.

No comments: