Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Big Clean Up

Once a year my hot water begins to dwindle to a dribble which means that there is a build up of lime or gunk in the ajax valve of the water cylinder. This is an unpleasant job involving much mess and water so I tend to procrastinate for a long time before I ring the landlord. However when it takes half an hour to run an inch of water into the bath you know you have to do something soon.

Thursday I rang Ken to give him the bad news. The next morning he arrived with a drill and also one of his backpackers whom he set to weedeat the three foot high lawn which has been unmown since May. Then another backpacker came over and they began clearing the garage out of all the previous tenant's rubbish that was left here eight years ago. While they were filling up a huge trailer I took out my dead vacuum cleaner, heater, two deceased mops and the base of a rabbit cage that Cheezels my departed house rabbit used to chew through while I was out so she could play with the dog and cats. I can't believe how big the shed actually is now all the boxes of crud are out of there.

After Ken finished with the water he set one of the tourists to mowing the lawn. We had a hell of a job shifting two of the hutches due to the grass growing through them and the mesh floor came off the bottom of one of them. However it was wonderful to see the grass being cut. Ken cut back a fushia in the driveway for me and discussed the next chore of pulling out all the stumps in the driveway garden and filling the holes with dirt so I can put in a new garden. To this end he took his truck and collected dirt which is now in a pile in the paddock next door. He also gave me a bale of hay for the rabbits.

After lunch one of the backpackers came in and washed down the cottage walls and scrubbed the spouting so it's no longer green. By the end of the day the place was looking respectable again- just a shame about its inhabitant who brings the whole tone of the area down. :o) After all this activitiy I have a sneaking suspicion my rent is going to go up soon- either that or else it's an early birthday present!

And if you want to know why so many backpackers stay here you just need to look at this photo of the Tuki Tuki Valley where the farm is situated. We're to the left of the river up in the hills. Unfortunately since I moved here quite a few new houses have been built in the area which not only have taken up good farm land but are blights on the landscape. But when you're a millionaire you can do what the hell you like in Hawkes Bay as long as you grease the right palms. Just goes to show that money doesn't automatically buy you good taste or a conscience.

No comments: