Sunday, May 14, 2006

Farriers


Farriers have become as scarce as hen's teeth here in the Hawkes Bay over the past few years. Part of this must be blamed on the lack of young people going into the profession and who can blame them? It's back breaking work (literally) plus you have to bear the indignity of dealing with the horse fraternity- not all of whom are polite or used to dealing reasonably with other people.

My first farrier was a tall guy from Napier who was hard to get hold of unless you rang him late at night (he worked on the wharves). The last time I saw him was in 1998 before I moved out here. His back was so painful he was having to give up farrier work. I then was told of a local man who lived slightly south of the farm. He didn't like working with my donkey at all although she really only got cranky when he touched her left hind foot. Also he would only come several weeks after you'd called him so I ended up ringing him before I needed to so that by the time he arrived the horse and donkey's hooves were ready to be trimmed. In the end he got a full time job and gave up his farrier work.

Finally I was told about Darryn a young farrier based down Central Hawkes Bay. Unlike many people he was happy to travel out here as he worked as far north as Tutira. What's more Briar the donkey adores him. He doesn't even have to tie her up to work on her feet. Goes to show what a good judge of character animals are. Sometimes he talks about cutting down his workload but I always hope that he won't as he is an important part of our equine friends' lives. Lately I have had trouble getting hold of him and was worrying that he had finally retired but last week managed to call him on his mobile phone and he's coming on Monday to trim Briar's feet.

Oh and another benefit of farriers- they know all the gossip and can fill you in about anything happening in the horse world!

No comments: