Sunday, April 30, 2006

Show Over

It has taken over a week to recover from the Creative Fibre Festival held over the last weekend (21-23 April 2006). Shared the stand with a lovely lady who breeds Gotland sheep which was great. Had photos of some of my bunnies up on my stand's back wall to show people the type of colours you can get in angora plus a couple of examples of scarves knitted in the fibre. Everyone enjoyed stroking these to assess the softness.

Gave away 30 business cards and 55 spinning instruction sheets and sold enough fibre to pay for the feed over the autumn and winter. Agouti and sooty fawn were the most popular colours but if I had more than two small packets of the apricot (orange) I think this would have surpassed these as people loved the shade. Surprisingly the cream didn't sell as well as I thought but then I think colours have fashions and the darker shades are in at the moment. The third grade didn't move at all on the first day until I put a sign on the basket stating what you could use it for. After that some people bought it to try in felting and dying. One lady also bought a couple of packets to put in her artwork.

The blend I had done came out beautifully- a subtle shade of pearl grey at 25%angora to around 75% fine wool. I sold several smaller lots of this but the 200 gms didn't move. I should have broken these up halfway through the festival but then hindsight has 20/20 vision. I floundered a bit when talking to knitters which made me realize that I really do need to get back to knitting so I know what I'm talking about. Also I think I would have sold lots more to the public if I had spun yarn and knitted items there.

Did get lots of people who had had bad experiences with angora. I explained about the disadvantages of shorn fibre (sounds like they were using badly clipped angora from backyard pets) but some had already made up their minds on the subject. One lady also told me that angora is out of fashion. Good news though is that a local person who used to farm angoras has offered me some old cages she has sitting at her son's place. She doesn't know what state they're in so will have to go along and have a look. Perhaps they'd even be suitable for cannibalizing to repair some of mine.I also spent some of my money on two packets of alpaca (grey and brown) and a Gotland fleece from Irene to spin up with my fibre.

It annoys me how new people come and think they'll buy a couple of angora rabbits, breed them to death and then make a fortune at selling fibre and animals. The reality is that it is definitely a cottage industry and interest amongst the spinners needs to be drummed up. It's an uphill battle and you never ever make a profit. You either need to have a passion for the breed or be a little bit crazy!

All in all it was an interesting weekend and I hope that I've made enough contacts to get me through the next couple of years. I was asked to attend the next festival in Taranaki but told them I can't but would be willing to send my stuff along if they can find another trader willing to sell on my behalf. I did come away inspired by all the wonderful fibres and fashions I saw on display but oh so tired!

No comments: