Sunday, February 26, 2006

Season Shift

There's always a point in late summer where the season slightly shifts from broiling sticky weather to cooler nights. This week we had one sultry 30oC day but then a cold snap swept up the country one evening and suddenly the nights are very cool. Looking out my front window I notice the leaves on the poplar trees are beginning to turn gold. Where did the summer go?

Cordelia is still stubbornly sitting on her exploding eggs. I deliberately left her perched on these eggy landmines until I was able to source some more fertile ones. Luckily someone who lives in my area is dropping off some Wyandotte bantam eggs this lunchtime so I will encourage Cordy out with some mash and put clean paper and hay in the sleeping compartment with the new arrivals. The breeder says if she abandons them not to worry as she has a breeding pair she doesn't want. I am hopeful Cordelia will have more success at hatching this lot as she no longer has the other hens trying to lay their eggs in with her which may have affected the Barnevelders. She is so determinedly broody I have to give her another chance.

It occurred to me once that I concentrate so much on the love lives of my animals (finding fertile eggs, mating rabbits, trying to get the donkey pregnant two years ago) that I can now add pet pimp to my CV.

No comments: