Thursday, October 03, 2013

Angel Goes To Hospital

After a week and a half of intensive petting Angel had calmed down enough for me to examine her coat which proved to be knots upon knots with a side order of tangles. When I rang the vet to book her in for a full South American (all over shave) the receptionist was certain a "brush out on top with a shave on the tummy) would suffice. My main concern was lifting Angel into the carry cage to transport her to the vet. Visions of me ending up in emergency did run through my mind but in the end I just picked her up and popped her inside without one growl or hiss. Angel was quiet as well.
Angel wearing her coat of many tangles.
When I dropped Angel in for her appointment I explained that she needed to be shaved right down to the skin as the knots were so bad although the vet nurse was more concerned with how I would react when I saw my cat again as apparently some owners do not react well to seeing their pets denuded. However I consider that aesthetics aren't important when it comes to the comfort of an animal. Especially a cat who has been wearing a bad weave the entire seven years she was away from home. The great team at Vet Services of Waipukurau assured me that she would be a different cat when I saw her again. They weren't kidding...
Angel still in her happy place after her experience.
When she arrived home later that day Angel immediately jumped out of her cage and ran over for a smooch. For the rest of the afternoon she was slightly Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds as the anaesthetic hadn't worn off completely. With her fluffy tail and ugg boots still intact she rolled around on the carpet while I scratched places she hadn't been scratched in years.
The Lion Of The House.
The vet staff said her coat was so badly matted that now it was gone her personality would change. This was after a nurse came out and said "Boy she's in a grumpy mood" when she fought to get her back in the carry cage. Although Angel was pleased to see her human friends again Joey the dog received a few punches when he tried to sniff her rear end. And as for the other cats... well with them she's lost all her street cred.

2 comments:

dragonrose said...

Poor Angel...one of our newcomer cats (as in Jen brought one home from the pet store's doorstep) had been shaved--ALL over; not even her head, tail, or boots were spared by her previous owner...her full fluffy coat grew back in a couple months so she now is Head Bossy Cat

damask22 said...

I think that's what'll happen with this girl Barb. The dog is terrified of her already- she gives one look & he leaves the room.