Thursday, September 09, 2010

Sarah's Siesta and Mish's Potty Mouth

Mishka's wound healed beautifully after his operation but two weeks afterwards I noticed his hind foot was pinkish and when I looked in his mouth a new ulcer had appeared to the right of the operation site, inside his mouth and just under his nose. The vet sent antibiotics out with the mailman the next day which cleared up the infection but within two days the lump underneath had increased in size. I spent two stress filled days wringing my hands but then just decided to enjoy having him around while he was happy and energetic. I doubled the amount of Vitamin C tablets I was giving as well as starting him on a clove of raw garlic every day. Needless to say this has to be hidden in his meat. Ringing his breeder she was amazed at how well he was doing at age 13 as she has a dog the same age who is completely blind and deaf. But I could hear in her voice that she thought I only had borrowed time with Mishka. This means he receives some treats he wasn't allowed before like cheese although I still balk at him eating manure- especially as I need to keep his mouth clean. Amazingly his appetite is the same and he is playful and perky so I can't ask for anything more.


Meanwhile we had a funeral for Sarah the hen or "Ugly" as my friend Rose calls her. After raising her two chicks earlier this year she began to develop a lump on her leg which slowly grew larger. Despite this disability she hopped around quite happily, sometimes hitching a ride with me as well as begging me to crack acorns which she fed on from my hand. A friend with an agricultural background was coming out to have a look at her but on Wednesday 25th August she died in a sudden cold snap. I buried her under a thyme bush in the garden with her youngest daughter standing beside me. I tried to think sentimentally that she was saying goodbye to her Mum but the more likely scenario was that she was just waiting for me to dig up worms.

No comments: