Saturday, January 02, 2010

Wet Dogs and Exploding Bantams

I'm currently experiencing an explosion of broody bantams. Frightened the hell out of myself the other day while gardening when an unearthly screech emanated from the middle of some day lilies where an irate hen had ensconced herself. A fluffy white hen went missing just before Christmas and I was certain she was sitting as she hadn't been sick but Wednesday afternoon I found her mummified corpse underneath a hedge. I planted her near the day lily patch so she can keep the other hen company.

I am a person who has to set deadlines so I get things done and New Year's Eve was "Wash The Dog Day". I spent a good half hour brushing all the under hair out from Mish's coat but before I had time to wash him the lawn mower man and his offsider arrived. Needless to say I was relieved I'd discovered the dead hen the day before otherwise we'd have had chicken chop suey everywhere. The men spent an hour waging war on the grass, one on a mower and the other on a weed eater and knocked the place into some sort of shape although it does resemble a hay field now. After lunch I took Mish outside and gave him a good wash with flea shampoo before he shook most of the water over me. He loves water despite the expression on his face post bath. Since then I have had to keep him nearby so he doesn't roly poly in the grassy arssy.

No comments: