Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hellebores and Lavender

I dreamed about my goats again last night. I have this recurring dream that someone actually returns them to me. It is now eight months since they disappeared and despite adverts in the local newspaper, school newsletter and a flier delivered by the mailman I have had no response as to what has happened to them since they disappeared from the last place I lived in late December. For a while they were seen wandering on a neighbouring farm and I kept asking the farm manager if he would help round them up. However by the time I moved here they had completely disappeared. My cousin has even suggested that my previous landlord may have had them shot. All I know is that I really miss them and can hardly bear to talk about them.

Today it is warm and the garden is slowly springing to life. We seem to be later than most places- my daffodils are only just beginning to flower and the tulip leaves are just poking out of the soil whereas they're flowering further down the road. However the winter hellebores have been blooming for weeks and are just lovely.

Rose and I went to Mitre 10 and were drawn towards the specials table like rats towards walnuts. Everything was a bit worse for wear but marked down by 50%. I got a Pukehou lavender for just $7 and six Lady Lavender plants for only $5. I have planted these by the brick path at the front of the cottage so I will eventually have a fragrant hedge growing under my bedroom window. Going shopping with Rose is always dangerous but as she says we're doing a good thing by supporting the local economy...

No comments: