Friday, April 25, 2008

Tobermory

I've been offline for five days since my nine year old computer finally expired. It had been having a few hissy fits since I moved here, not turning on in the morning usually. This time there was no response to me unplugging it or jiggling its ram and other wiggly bits accompanied by brutal swearing. As usual I was rescued by my brother who bought a computer from Trademe for $50. He brought this out on Wednesday and six hours and nine cigarettes later had it up and running. It's slightly faster than my old girl but I have no idea how long it will last so fingers crossed. Note: when Rich took my old machine home and plugged it in it turned on immediately....


Tobermory has been slowly going downhill this past week. I have had to pull him upright on several occasions even having to make a half hour trek to find him amongst some cabbage trees at the end of the paddock, leading him home with a "I Love My German Shepherd" leash attached to his collar much to the amusement of the farm staff.

This morning he was lying down again but when I tried to help him stand there was no strength in his legs. His breathing was laboured and even his appetite had gone (he even refused a strawberry jam sandwich which is his favourite treat). I rang the farm manager who came over, looked at him and gave me the news I was dreading- that Toby had reached the end of the road. He brought over a trailer and loaded him into it after I said goodbye, taking him away so I wouldn't hear the sound of the shot. He is now buried in the farm cemetary alongside a loved horse and various sheep dogs.

Briar has been inconsolable. She hasn't eaten, she wanders around braying looking for him. Other times she stands by his little house with her head down. I have spoken to a farming friend who is going to try and find another companion or two for her to bond with. As for me I have cried myself into a massive headache. Toby had a long life (he would have turned seventeen in September) and he saw me through some great trials and difficult moments. He was one of the greatest animal characters I ever met and he will be missed.

4 comments:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

I bet you got a lot done when you were without your computer

poor Toby but it sounds like it was for the best
HUGS to you

damask22 said...

I got alot more reading done than usual. Finished two books. Jen

mattleesekiwi said...

Hi Jen,
I am crying reading about Toby...I am so sorry for you (and Briar by the sounds of it).
I guess the only small blessing is that it didn't drag out for a long time with him in awful pain.
I still remember him at his most rambunctious...so many stories about you, Rich and even Margaret bearing the brunt of his wrath!!
Stubborn little sh*t
:)

damask22 said...

Hi Matt. Yes he was a holy terror in his time. Many a morning he had me cornered in the shed when we lived at Waiohiki. Since he lost his horn last year though he had become much gentler and more mellow. He even used to speak to me if I called his name.
Jen